Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Infinite Interview Again


Can I haz pliz Dongwu. Boys have brainz. Omo, I'm gonna flip.
Beware, lots to read.
So far, only Dongwu and Seonggyu.


The full translation:

Becoming a ‘Real Man’ – INFINITE, A Love Confession
Their dramatic change over the course of 408 days, the moment in their memories.
One year ago, Infinite entered heavily armed with the next door oppa image, holding simple charms and innocence. They endured rigorous practices of 18 hours each day and showed an astounding growth from it. Like their name itself, they desire in having infinite capabilities and don’t hold back in expressing who they are, as they exude bright energy and even after having a year pass by, they are still working on it. Instead of wanting to rise to the top once amongst the infinite rivalry, they desire to slowly seep in and as time passes by, they want to become a group that makes their own groove. As they increase the temperature of their passion, they open the first chapter with ‘Over the Top.’ This is the story of seven youths spending a passionate, hot time and their eye-blinding memories and records.

A letter filled with his love
                    On June 9th, 2010, the run of the youths with infinite passion and energy after having endured through a close to 2 years worth of training began. Before they even stepped foot on their debut stage, they appeared in a reality documentary program called (Infinite, You Are My Oppa) and they were a group that made sure that they were a tight group formed systematically over the years. Through that experience itself, they learned what passion and they doubled in the amount of greed they had when they released their first debut album (First Invasion). Infinite, who experienced new things and through this, they wanted another chance and in not wanting to let go of that, they became greedy. Through the intense rivalry, they maneuvered their dynamics and were going through their growth spurt. With the group’s average age being 21, their fresh image expired and they were improving in both singing and dancing, showing off their surprising skills and presenting their hidden images one by one. Through their songs ‘Come Back Again,’ ‘She’s Back,’ ‘BTD,’ ‘Nothing’s Over,’ ‘Can U Smile,’ etc., they showed a broad range from strong and powerful stages to bright and refreshing dance numbers, making attempts to create diverse music as Infinite is able to pinpoint exactly the dramatic feel.

                    On July 21st, 2011, it is certain that there aren’t people who don’t take interest in Infinite as well as call them by Infinity 43 days after having released ‘Over the Top’ in surpassing their one year. The reason is because they are not only seeing the fruit of their labor from their efforts and passion nationwide, but throughout Asia as well since they’re a blooming group.

                    On the past 17th and 19th, they had their first debut showcase which opened at ‘Namba 8’ in Osaka and ‘Zepp’ in Tokyo of Japan as it’s known that the tickets were sold out the day it was released for sale, classifying them as ‘Hanllyu’s latest generation idols’ in not only garnering thousands of fans, but being acknowledged by music affiliates as well. Their ‘on-point choreography’ is what allowed to show their own color and became their own specialty, as their ‘scorpion dance’ they showed in ‘BTD’ became widely known and continuing on from that in their title song for their first official album, ‘Be Mine,’ they showcase a dance move that straightens out their body in the span of 8 moves which is also known as the ‘angled dance.’ They stop every second in their practice videos to check over it and they even match the slightest angles in order to perfect one move. And this is how stubbornness and passion showed in their official first album as you could see no flaws in their choreography throughout the song and that this is the result only from Infinite who displays outstanding teamwork. ‘Be Mine,’ which is a strong synthesized pop dance song, gives off the 80s European pop feel which is refined to fit the modern times, adding rich melody and theme, as well as the scratch session during the bridge performance being the highlight of sentimentalism.

                    With each album, they deliver a diverse range of music as well as beyond-average choreography, earning the spot of ‘latest generation idols’ and to add onto that, Infinite has started promotions in Japan as they’ll be stepping foot as a group of Asia. With time passing by, these seven youths are evolving naturally as they are also pouring out their aphorism. This is their first prologue.
#The main focus for the August edition is the ‘latest generation idol’ INFINITE who is capturing Asia as of lately.

D-1 of their comeback stage took place at 8:00PM on July 22nd with their song ‘Be Mine.’ Infinite, who flew in from Japan, they lent their precious time despite the havoc of their packed schedule for the magazine photo shoot of . Although you could see their tired faces, they radiated the refreshing and happy viruses as if they bit into a chunk of a lemon. After being with them for 4 hours, you need no other words as you immediately think the thought, “Ah! Of course, they’re Infinite!” upon seeing them. With this one statement, it ends everything and as we exchanged a long interview, we’re able to show the perfect statements from them that we couldn’t embed in the photo shoot!

“Our concept is being sexy and full of charm, but…….being sexy is really hard. If you look at us, we look like delinquents. Yes, that’s the true concept.” (Sunggyu)

“My baby tummy which was a patent of mine disappeared suddenly one day. Our fans said my tummy then was cute, but where has it gone?” (Sungyeol)

“We share the 3 rooms in our dorm together, and Dongwoo hyung and I share a room. Like our synchronized choreography we show on stage, we’re in charge of being synchronized in doing laundry together. Tuesday and Friday is laundry time and when we miss any of these days, we can’t do our laundry.” (L)

“I like loud, bright atmospheres so when the members are tired, I often sit next to them and do aegyo and purposely joke around, asking them to play with me while saying things like “Aing~ What’s wrong~” When trying to liven up the atmosphere, ‘Namaegyo’ is the best!” (Woohyun)

“There’s a dance called ‘krumping’ which expresses anger and when I practice that by myself, I feel masculine.” (Hoya)

“I hope that Infinite can remain as the image of ‘dongsengs, oppas, dads, uncles, and boyfriends,’ an image every man can have.” (Dongwoo)

“We spent all night practicing on working on our first official album. We hope many of you give it lots of love and like the lyrics, be mine. Give it lots of love, to magnae Sungjong also~” (Sungjong)

-Editor Park Sanghee

Sunggyu - I’m running out of time
#Scene_1: A time to reflect back on the emotions of longing or dimness felt in past events.
Even in sound, there’s temperature. Not too hot, but not too cold either; a sound with a temperature just right will expand infinitely through space and time. Kim Sunggyu, whose voice feels the temperature of 36.5° C, is this way. For a long while, he’s increased the temperature for his passion and through his skills, he appealed with his own distinct charm and he’s able to embody the ringing in his voice more than any other instrument.
Sunggyu’s astounding ability is one of the factors that allows Infinite to rise and grow at a scarily rate. “We’re not really sure how much we’ve grown. First off, one thing’s for certain and that’s that we poured more passion into our official album. Compared to the album before this, the part division expanded amongst the members and we were able to contain various forms of color through our music that we weren’t able to show as a team. And now that I think about it, it does seem like we did grow, no? there are pros to this, as well as a lot of disappointing factors.” As a leader and the team’s eldest hyung (23 years old), he felt the most pressure and responsibility more than anyone else as he wanted to show things that he couldn’t have before, but also not wanting to throw away the anticipation of the public, dealing with the worries of “How to unravel all of this” repeatedly. Instead of wanting to show a drastic change of color, all he wanted was to show the constant music style that Infinite has built, an ‘Infinite type’ of music with the addition of embodying an alpha male.

                    “The image we wanted to present this time wasn’t too light or heavy, but right about in the middle. If it’s too heavy, then there may be too much of a negative response and if it’s too light, it can easily be overlooked. I want to hear things along the lines of ‘It has a nice feel to it’ from anyone who comes across it and through this album, I want to show that we’re reaching towards infinity gradually like our name.” By practicing their rigorous dance practice of 18 hours, they’re able to create the perfect Infinite they are on stage. Because all seven members are always together, they’re able to be synchronized but due to the pack schedules of each individual member, the time they have to match choreographies is not a lot, so Infinite does hit obstacles from time to time. “It’s the most perfect when all seven members are together but due to individual members having their own schedules, we did face obstacles. However, we try to find even the littlest bit of time and even if we have schedules the next day, we spend all night practicing hard. I think difficult situations like those help Infinite become one and whenever I heard things like, “Infinite really fits well with one another, whether it’s dancing or anything else, they shine when they’re together,” I feel good and proud as a leader and hyung.”


                    “Past moments that I miss…is spending time with family. After graduating high school, I lived away from my family starting at the age of twenty and after three years passed by, I began to slowly think about how I should have treated my family better…if I knew I wouldn’t be able to see them often and contact them often now, then I wouldn’t have upset them so much in the past. I feel guilty and I miss the past.”

                    “Even when time passes by, I want to remember ‘Infinite’ of today as something that was the brightest moment of my life. Because we spent our youth together as well as make our footsteps into music together; inside Infinite, we were able to cross beyond the line of rivaling each other…I want to remember it as the greatest moment of Kim Sunggyu’s life. Adding onto that, I want people to think, “They’re a group who makes fairly good music, music that I’m still not tired of after listening to it even now.” There are old songs to this day that sound good. When time passes by, I want to become that kind of Infinite.”

                    I’m not sure how to say this, but I think I’m slowly growing on finding my own place. Confined in the fence called ‘Infinite,’ I’m finding my own place and being together with one another, I think I’m naturally learning other methods as well. My growth is determined by the methods I learn in the changes.

                    Whatever the seven of us think, whether it being right in the beginning of our debut or even now, what remains the same is that we make time for the members to ‘talk’ with one another. Dilemmas, feelings of hurt, and worries, we all gather together and talk about what we’ve been keeping in. To be honest, there’s just too much difficulty for me to keep in certain things with the personality I have. That’s why we tend to have a dilemma over it together, and I tend to listen often to the advices my dongsengs give (laughter).

                    Retro feel = manliness= confidence. When the lyrics of ‘Be Mine’ were out, I recorded the guide version and I had a deep impression of the lyrics and melody. The question of, “Be Mine, okay?” is a counter-question and honestly, I thought it was manly. In hearing the complete version, I was reminded of a scene in the movie . The European beat dance and melody that swept away the mid-80s felt somewhat similar (to our song).

                    As an artist, we upgraded a notch and music-wise, we filled out official album with maturity so look out for it!

                    I feel that… ‘Because’ being my first solo song I’ve sung, it’s an honor itself to be able to let others listen to only my voice and it has a big meaning behind it. The bassist of Nell, Junghoon hyung who I’ve always respected, wrote the song and throughout the recording, I felt the need to do well and of course there was pressure, as I can only see the disappointing parts in my eyes but it’s truly a overwhelming feeling I can’t explain in words (laughter). While recording the song, I would listen to it and listen again once it was mastered; I worked hard in coming out of the fixed formality I was confined in, in order to show a new type of voice.

Sunggyu, A True Story
“What first drew my interest into a thing called music was rock music, and it holds a lot of meaning to me.” I was a vocalist in the 10th band group-sound ‘Beat’ of Jeonbook Private High School. At the time, I thought it was truly charming to be able to make a sound from instruments. So when I was in high school, I lived in rock music only. I want to thank ‘rock music’ for giving an average boy with an average dream the interest in music. “I thank my dongsengs who always level with me and give me advice.” Even with the slightest mistake, we gather together to talk and often times punishing one another. We point out each others’ mistakes harshly and I thank my dongsengs who always follow my word and advice, as well as feel sorry to them. “Thank you always, guys!”

Sunggyu, The Moment He Loves
If I have a person I love… I can’t say things like ‘I miss you,’ ‘I like you,’ and ‘I love you’ well (laughter). Instead, I’m the type to say that I love them before I go to bed. Also, whenever I miss them, I think I tend to say ‘I miss you’ a lot. I’m not half-hearted since I do express how I feel.

                    ‘Be Mine, okay?’ I think I like someone who is cute, but also someone who has a bit of an odd side to them. Outside, they appear as perfect with no flaws but on the inside, they hold a different side to them; I think I’m attracted to someone who has a ‘twist’ to them. A person I’ve liked before also had that kind of aura and at times, I would really think, “I want to make them mine.”

Dongwoo – An Indifferent Face
#Scene_2: My memories and times that are deeply embedded in me… a time to reflect back on the trail left behind calmly
“Whenever an important moment passes by, I regularly write it in my journal and the members would ask me why I would write in a journal but during times of photo shoots or music video recordings, or even moments passing by my surroundings, I wrote those episodes in my journal; they’re a trail left behind by time and although it may be small, in storing important memories, I want to be able to look back on it with the same intention I had then."

When thinking of Dongwoo, the first thing that comes up is the ‘unique smile and laughter.’ This opaque man who appears pure and caring when he smiles also holds a stern and cold facial expression, being both cute yet having charms overflowing with charisma. He’s not just a flat pretty boy, but masculine as well; however, his nicknames are ‘innocent dinosaur’ and ‘a gum-showing angel.’ “When I hear that nickname, I often think I lack in having nice gums, so I try to match up to that and try to smile more (laughter). From now on, I want to earn nicknames close to the image of ‘a strong guy’ and ‘a thick person.’

          "I like animals like Tyrannosauruses.” Dongwoo recognized his optimism and being able to make others feel at ease long ago. In liking people and through the people I met, I was able to achieve the state of maturity in terms of music. Dongwoo learned through this album that you need encounters (with others). “I think I was able to achieve maturity in music thanks to working with the help of the nation’s greatest composers and lyricists through this album. I learned through this opportunity that lyrics that fit in the guidelines of the melody, yet can appeal to others is needed. I listened a lot and tuning my rap lyrics with their advice helped a lot.” Of course before this, Dongwoo was the type of person to the other person’s advice fully but now, it’s more of myself putting forth my opinions and slowly matching it to the style needed.

          Now, Dongwoo’s not confused and is able to surely express how he feels, in a sense thinking that it could be him maturing into a confident man. Although he can’t always be neat and tidy, the place he’s at now and the area he’s surrounded inside is where he’s consistently changing and it’s another turning point in my life. “We all grew extremely through this album. From the refreshing boy image in ‘Nothing’s Over’ to appealing with a strong, masculine image – for me, I think I lack somewhat of the strong side, so I try to appeal more of it with each album. I’d think things like, ‘This week, I want to be more masculine and stronger. Not, “Will you be mine?” but strongly portraying it through “Be mine” instead. I want to have an image of a dependent oppa.’” In seeing the performance from Usher in which a laser is incorporated with the choreography, Dongwoo shouted ‘Oh My God’ and aside from being synchronized in choreographies, he hopes to be able to showcase a performance like this which is out-of-the-box. The innocent pheromone that exudes infinitely is what completes my charm.
          “The song ‘Crying’ allowed me to find another side to myself. I learned new skills as well as being able to grow in singing and rapping overall while working on this song. The song ‘Crying’ is a sad story as a man follows in death after the woman he loves dies. Although I never experienced such thing firsthand, through watching the movies and helped me experience it secondhand. I was given an awakening that can’t be expressed in words when I was writing the lyrics myself.”
Dongwoo’s small attic room he dreams in. Suppose a difficult situation came up, I tend to not keep it to myself but just dive deeper into the situation, so I don’t think that way. Instead, I go up to the attic and lie down while looking at the ceiling. I realize that this helps with my mind control. I find funny videos to watch and watch animations with stories to flip my mood.
          The important song which was a stepping stone to my growth. Mariah Carey’s “Touch My Body” (YES PLS)was the song that helped me grow from elementary school to high school. I think listening to senior Epik High’s ‘1 Minute, 1 Second,’ ‘Fan,’ and ‘Paris’ helped me grow deeply and I normally like music styles from artists like Usher or West Life; I also like Asher Book’s comfortable R&B style, like in his song ‘Try.’

          Exuding his double charms. In Japan, we have to showcase two songs which are ‘BTD’ & ‘Come Back Again.’ In Korea, we have to showcase our new song ‘Be Mine.’ It can be a little difficult, but learning another culture and through the form of expression, I think we’re getting to know our own charms and are having the ability to showcase them. I get the feeling that while promoting in both countries, we’re gaining more weapons to attack with. Usually if it gets too difficult, one would prepare to quit but the more it gets difficult for us, the members tend to raise the heat and just keep running. In seeing that, I’m proud of them.
Dongwoo, A True Story
“On stage, the moment I hear the melody and the beat, my emotions change.”

          Honestly, I wanted to attempt something different from what we’ve always done before. I would ask this or that while sitting close to a composer and I would learn things that I never even knew before. I think that the groove and flow in my rap changed a little; I was able to convey deeper emotions. I was proud that as much effort I put into composing, the results reflected that and although it was difficult learning this and that while spending sleepless nights, it was fun. “It’s endearing to see the results from the attempts for change you made.” I had the goal of ‘attempt and change’ for this album. I tried changing the rap in a unique form through various attempts and tests. In our track ‘Tic Toc,’ we even tried putting synthesizers and were able to put out a lot of style into it. To be honest, that part wasn’t supposed to be a rap part but while talking with the composers, we put a rap in the empty part. I think I have more attachment to it because I felt that the song was revived in a new form. I like all the songs in the tracklist, but I think the song ‘One Third’ itself has a comfortable melody to listen to and it’s easy to sing along to, and it suits me.

Dongwoo, The Moment He Loves
If I have a person I love… Before, I used to be indecisive so I never held back someone who left me and I didn’t block anyone from entering my life, especially if the other person acted first. Now, if I have someone I like, I think I’ll be the type to not hide my curiosity and be straight forward in asking them things. In working on the songs for this album, I think I changed a lot. I think the saying of a singer changing through their song is true.

‘Be Mine, okay?’ Out of everything, I look at personality the most. No matter how pretty they are, I realized that over time, looks aren’t everything. I heard that when questions like this are asked, the most fussy answer is ‘I look at personality’…(laughter). Doesn’t everything look beautiful to someone if you’re able to converse with the other person and that your personalities fit? Personality is important!

Thanks to: Keksprinzessin, trans. cr; jiwon @ infinite updates; take out with full credits