Thursday, September 29, 2016

Throwback Thursday Ep 09


Throwback to sadness, because September is sadness. No REM< no Tears in Heaven though. And no, no Hallelujah. This was actually a very hard list for me, because I'm musically irrevocably damaged and I love sad songs. I even have a playlist called "Weltschmerz", for Autumnal rain's sake! And sometimes a song is not even sad, but it exudes sadness. Like Simon & Garfunkel's Sound of Silence. Or maybe it is a sad song, but more than that, it paints a bleak, dystopian vision. So I had to chose.
Prepare tissues.


The music is here:

Tall Tree 6 ft Man - Tears and Laughter


Johnny Cash - Hurt. This is actually Trent Reznor's song, but only Cash could make such heart-tearing version.


Tears for Fears - Mad World.

Sadly, the cover by Gary Jules is better known, because it was used in the movie Donnie Darko, but I do believe this version is even more depressing. Let me explain. The music is upbeat, very happy, but the lyrics tell you a different, dark story. And now think of the brave, happy face we have to put on whenever we meet with people or even whenever we look in the mirror. It's all happy, deceptively happy, hiding underneath an ugly truth. This song is like that, and it's the reason I prefer this version over Jules'. I have the affinity to such schizophrenic songs. Just like almost any given New Order song (cf. 1963 is about the domestic abuse and a killer). Sometimes really powerful lyrics come dressed up as airy and light fluffy music.

Bruce Springsteen - The River


James Blake - Retrograde


Hong Kwangho - God, The World Is Wrong


Ed Sheeran - I See Fire. Probably the best thing about this abomination of a movie. This and Mr. Armitage. Also, it fits this particular schematics of a song I like - starting slowly, then growing until the crescendo, like a storm.


Stan Borys - Jaskółka Uwięziona

I had my doubts about posting a song in Polish, because, believe me, no translation can convey the sheer horror this song evokes. But there is a translation anyway here.
Bette Midler - The Rose


George Michael - You Have Been Loved

A song depicting a Mother visiting her son's grave. Also, a very personal song for me for September.

Enjoy^^